Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Color Blind or Color Brave Response

 The Hobson TED talk for this week was very well spoken, and she got her points across clearly and affectively. Her experience at the birthday party when she was little and the question her mother asked resonated throughout the video. I believe this was assigned after our identity maps to allow us to question whether race and diversity should be acknowledged despite being a huge part of who we are. Hobson touched on the topic of “Color Blindness” and “Color Brave,” which ties in perfectly with what I believe the goal of the order of these assignments were. She explained how the “first step to solve any problem is to not hide,” and how, “the first step of any action is awareness,” which I found was a wonderful way to paint the picture of these two definitions. 

    Hobson left us with a piece of advice. She advised us to invite people into our lives that do not look or act like us or came from the same place as us. This will invite them to challenge our assumptions and make us grow as people. I could relate this to my trip to Guatemala as a whole, but specifically learning about the upbringing of Guatemalas education curriculum through GIZ. GIZ is a German based organization that is actively supporting Guatemala in many ways but specifically, education. When GIZ stepped into the picture to lend a helping hand, they faced the problem of an outdated curriculum that was leading to children dropping out of school at very early ages. To solve that problem head on, they gathered educators from all over the world to discuss teaching techniques that lead to the most success. I can't lie, going into the schools in Guatemala, I was pretty naive and believed we would have more tools to share rather than to learn from the other teachers. I'm happily surprised from how much I learned from watching the teachers methods of teaching and lesson plans.



Funny Link: What is Disversity?  

2 comments:

  1. I love the quotes you chose; they were also ones I jotted down while watching the video. Those are perfect definitions for Color Blind & Color Brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing that stuck with me too was the 'how did they treat you?' question. It is such an important topic to think about when embracing our identities in front of everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Identity Map